8 Technology Trends to Watch in 2020
Is your organization getting excited about hyper-automation? Immersing itself in immersive experiences such as virtual, augmented or mixed reality?
Those were two of the eight “Top Supply Chain Technology Trends in 2020” identified by Gartner Inc. today. Gartner explained that the technologies “have a high potential for positive impact on people, performance and industries.”
“The vast majority of organizations have a cautious approach to adopting supply chain applications and technologies,” noted Christian Titze, vice president analyst with the Gartner Supply Chain Practice. “Only 21% are willing to consider, and often adopt, early-stage technologies. However, even cautious supply chain leaders must keep an open mind and embrace long-term perpetual change.”
Gartner said some of the tools on its list are “reaching critical tipping points in capability and maturity. ” Gartner did not say how the disruption of the pandemic is influencing either its selection of these technologies or their rate of adoption in the field.
Aside from hyper-automation and immersive experiences, the other technologies on Gartner’s list were:
- Digital Supply Chain Twin (DSCT)
- Continuous Intelligence (CI)
- Supply Chain Governance and Security — “Gartner anticipates a wave of new solutions to emerge for supply chain security and governance, especially in the fields of privacy as well as cyber and data security,” Titze explained. “Think advanced track-and-trace solutions, smart packaging and next-gen RFID and NFC capabilities.”
- Edge Computing and Analytics
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- 5G Networks
Gartner released a similar list in 2019 that included many of the same technologies. The ones that didn’t make the cut in 2020 were Internet of Things, Robotic Process Automation, “Autonomous Things” and Blockchain.